Job Number 19177717
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach| 30 Beach Road|
Singapore| Singapore| Singapore
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and
Marriott Hotels | Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than
500 global locations| is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can
travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels| you will help keep this
promise by delivering premium choices| sophisticated style| and well-crafted
details. With your skills and imagination| together we will innovate and
reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International|s luxury portfolio and
consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and
distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come
first. Because if you’re happy| our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as
that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other| where you’ll be
part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-
workers. JW creates opportunities for training| development| recognition and
most importantly| a place where you can really pursue your passions in a
luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take
care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Accountable for overall success of the daily pastry operations. Exhibits
creative baking and decorating talents by personally performing tasks while
leading the staff in preparing quality and consistent pastries for all areas.
Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining
the operating budget. Supervises all pastry areas to ensure a consistent| high
quality product is produced. Responsible for guiding and developing staff
including direct reports. Must ensure sanitation and food standards are
achieved. Areas of responsibility comprise overseeing all pastry food
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in culinary| food and
beverage| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts| Hotel and
Restaurant Management| or related major; 2 years experience in culinary| food
and beverage| or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Leading the Discipline Teams
• Supervises and manages employees; understands employee positions well enough
to perform duties in employees| absence.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in pastry
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
• Supervises pastry preparation shift operations.
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions
for each position.
• Establishes and maintains open| collaborative relationships with employees
and ensures employees do the same within the team.
• Ensures that regular on-going communication occurs with employees to create
awareness of business objectives and communicate expectations| recognize
performance and produce desired results.
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests
based on required specifications.
• Represents the property in media events as needed.
• Facilitates pastry classes for customers and the community.
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Develops| designs| or creates new ideas and items for pastry kitchen.
• Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
• Maintains food preparation handling and correct storage standards.
• Recognizes superior quality products| presentations and flavor.
• Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation
• Ensures compliance with all applicable laws and regulations regulations.
• Assists the Executive Chef with menu development associated with pastry.
• Operates and maintains all department equipment and reports malfunctions.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types| either on a regular basis or for
special guests or functions.
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Monitors and provides service behaviors that are above and beyond for
• Manages day-to-day operations| ensuring the quality| standards and meeting
the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
• Supports service by communicating and assisting employees to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
• Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service.
• Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
• Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service
• Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses
on continuous improvement.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Sets and supports achievement of culinary goals associated with pastry
products including performance goals| budget goals| team goals| etc.
• Provides specific guidance to prioritize| organize| and accomplish daily
pastry operations work.
• Supports procedures for food and beverage portion and waste controls.
• Purchases appropriate supplies and manage inventories according to budget.
• Trains employees in safety procedures.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching| mentoring| or
otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Participates in training staff on menu items including ingredients|
preparation methods and unique tastes.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to
Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer
• Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service| operational needs and
financial objectives are met.
• Uses all available on the job training tools for employees.
• Solicits employee feedback| utilizes an |open door| policy and reviews
employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or
• Provides information to supervisors| co-workers| and subordinates by
telephone| in written form| e-mail| or in person.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.