Job Number 19001JHL
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach| 30 Beach Road|
Singapore| Singapore| Singapore
Brand Marriott Hotels Resorts /JW Marriott
Position Type Management
Start Your Journey With Us
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and
Marriott Hotels | Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than
500 global locations| is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can
travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels| you will help keep this
promise by delivering premium choices| sophisticated style| and well-crafted
details. With your skills and imagination| together we will innovate and
reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International|s luxury portfolio and
consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and
distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come
first. Because if you’re happy| our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as
that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other| where you’ll be
part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-
workers. JW creates opportunities for training| development| recognition and
most importantly| a place where you can really pursue your passions in a
luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take
care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Entry level management position that focuses on successfully accomplishing the
daily objectives in the Chinese Banquet Kitchen. Leads staff while personally
assisting in preparing and plating food for functions. Assists in coordinating
menus| purchasing and staffing. Position contributes to ensuring guest and
employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 4 years experience in the culinary| food and
beverage| or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts| Hotel and
Restaurant Management| or related major; 2 years experience in the culinary|
food and beverage| or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
• Assists in determining how food should be presented and creates decorative
• Attends and participates in all pertinent meetings.
• Checks the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards
• Comprehends budgets| operating statements and payroll progress reports as
needed to assist in the financial management of department.
• Develops| designs| or creates new applications| ideas| relationships|
systems| or products| including artistic contributions.
• Maintains food handling and sanitation standards.
• Participates in the management of department|s controllable expenses to
achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Understands the impact of the department’s operation on the overall property
financial goals and objectives.
Managing Culinary Teams
• Communicates areas in need of attention to staff.
• Complies with loss prevention policies and procedures.
• Encourages and builds mutual trust| respect| and cooperation among team
• Ensures all employees have proper supplies| equipment and uniforms.
• Ensures employees follow cleaning schedules and keep their work areas clean
• Handles employee questions and concerns.
• Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching| mentoring| or
otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Leads shifts while personally preparing food items and executing requests
based on required specifications.
• Oversees production and preparation of banquet items.
• Prepares and cooks foods of all types| either on a regular basis or for
special guests or functions.
• Reports malfunctions in department equipment.
• Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
• Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food
• Supervises and manages employees. Managing all day-to-day operations.
Understanding employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees|
• Supervises daily shift operations.
• Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead| influence| and
encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making;
demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
• Utilizes the Labor Management System to effectively schedule to business
demands and for tracking of employee time and attendance.
Maintaining Culinary Goals
• Achieves and exceeds goals including performance goals| budget goals| team
• Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize| organize| and accomplish
• Ensures and maintains the productivity level of employees.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Coaches and counsels employees regarding performance on an on-going basis.
• Ensures quality standards and customer expectations are met on a daily
• Follows up to ensure staff makes necessary improvements.
• Handles guest problems and complaints seeking assistance from supervisor as
• Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand
guest needs| providing guidance| feedback| and individual coaching when
• Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and
• Sets a positive example for guest relations.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
• Communicates performance expectations in accordance with job descriptions
for each position and monitors progress.
• Helps train employees in safety procedures.
• Identifies the educational needs of others| developing formal educational or
training programs or classes| and teaching or instructing others.
• Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to
• Participates as needed in the interviewing and hiring of banquet kitchen
employee team members with the appropriate skills.
• Participates as needed in the investigation of employee accidents.
• Participates in the employee performance appraisal process| giving feedback
• Uses all available on the job training tools for employees.
• Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and
• Provides information to supervisors and co-workers by telephone| in written
form| e-mail| or in person.